SharePoint 2013 Features:-
1. Features of Enterprise Content Management
1) FAST Search is now integrated into SharePoint Server Search
2) Drag and drop file upload
3) Share documents in your newsfeed
4) Mass edit document metadata
5) Utilize retention policies for emails using an Exchange Site Mailbox
6) Create attractive, usable navigation with managed metadata terms
2. Enhancements to Search in SharePoint Server 2013:
1) Result blocks allow a configurable grouping of similar search results
2) Query suggestions help users find what they previously searched
3) Site collection administrators can create display templates using an HTML editor to customize the search result appearance
4) Microsoft Office file type icons make documents easier to find
5) A new set of ranking models improve people search, intranet search, and internet sites
6) Analytics is now built directly into the SharePoint Search architecture
7) Query rules let administrators configure promoted results and result blocks
8) Continuous crawling makes new items almost instantly available to search results.
9) Hover preview panel for search results
3. Features of Enterprise Workflows:
1) SharePoint 2010 workflows still work in SharePoint 2013 by running the Windows Workflow Foundation 3 engine, installed for backwards compatibility
2) Text and Visual based workflow Design options in SharePoint Designer 2013
3) You can now have workflows loop until a certain condition is met
4. Web Content Management Enhancements:
1) Use familiar tools such as Adobe Dreamweaver to design the site and brand.
2) Use Design manager to preview, customize, and package your site in the web browser.
3) Create reusable content that can be consumed by many different targeted devices using device channels
4) Surface dynamic content to the end user based on search driven content display
5) The SharePoint mark-up has be architected for simpler CSS and HTML5
5. Powerful Social features in SharePoint Server 2013:
1) Facebook-esque news feeds, complete with a “Like” button and support for pictures and hyperlinks
2) Skydrive Pro replaces SharePoint Workspace for offline content sync with a deep Office 2013 integration
3) Threaded discussion boards let you reply to specific people using the (at)name format
4) Follow specific people and documents to aggregate relevant updates
5) Tag content with the hashtag (#)
6. Office Web Apps - Benefits of Utilizing Office Web Apps Server:
1) Open office documents from any device including Windows 8 and iOS tablets.
2) Available on SkyDrive for viewing and editing your documents in the cloud.
3) Touch Device compatible
4) Coauthoring Enabled
7. Project Server - Features of Project Server 2013:
1) Build a project schedule and resource allocation in the Project Pro 2013 client application, and then publish it to SharePoint Server 2013
2) Improved demand management workflows allow organizations to collect "demand" for project ideas, prioritize and execute them
3) Touch-enabled mobile access to project data for Windows Phone 7.5+, Apple iPhone, and Android devices
4) Rollup views of project statuses for the C level executives in your organization
5) Tasks and Calendars are now rolled up from Exchange, Project, and SharePoint into your personal Mysite
8. Central Admin - Benefits of the Central Administration Features Include:
1) Application Management - Web Applications, Site Collections, Service Applications, Database
2) System Settings - Servers, Email and SMS, Farm Management
3) Monitoring - Health Analyzer, Timer Jobs, Reporting
4) Backup and Restore - Farm Backup and Restore, Granular Backup
5) Security - Users, General Security, Information Policy
6) Upgrade and Migration - Upgrade and Patch Management
7) General Application Settings - External Service Connections, InfoPath Forms Services, SharePoint Designer, Search, Content Deployment, Report Server Settings
8) Apps - SharePoint and Office Store, App Management
9) Configuration Wizards - Farm Configuration Wizard
9. PowerShell 3.0 - Benefits of the PowerShell Framework for SharePoint:
1) Powered by PowerShell 3.0 (tab completion, PowerShell Web Access, Task Scheduler Integration)
2) Improved code writing
3) 300+ New cmdlets
4) New SharePoint Apps Framework
5) Update Help documentations easily
10. Identity Management- Benefits of User Authentication Management Include:
1) Ease the process of using claims-based authorization
2) Only authorized users are enabled to use the system
3) ASP.Net Forms Authentication is supported
4) Claims-based identity and authentication is supported (Windows claims, ASP.Net membership, SAML)
5) All IIS and Windows authentication options are supported by SharePoint(Basic, Digest, Certificates, NTLM, Kerberos)
11. App Management - Benefits of App Management in SharePoint 2013:
1) Purchase Apps from the Microsoft SharePoint App Store directly from Central Administration
2) Manage App Licenses
3) Monitor App Performance
4) Manage App Permissions
5) Manage the App Catalog available to end-users
12. SharePoint Designer - SharePoint Designer Benefits Include:
1) New HTML 5 and CSS Support
2) Overhauled Graphical Workflow Designer Interface
3) Workflows now support loops and workflow stages (jump to any stage in a workflow)
13. Performance and Scalability - SharePoint 2013 Scalability and Performance Perks:
1) 50% Faster Server Response Times
2) 10x faster Active Directory Import speeds
3) 40% more efficient use of bandwidth
4) 80% less file I/O related SQL IOPS – only write back file changes (shredded storage), SQL low level optimizations
5) Faster Perceived End-User experience using animations and drag and drop file upload
6) 10K Sites in a Content Database from SharePoint 2010
7) 750K farm Sites (250K in SharePoint 2010)
8) 500 Content Databases in a farm from 300 in SharePoint 2010
14. Upgrade and Migration - Some Enhancements for SharePoint 2013 Upgrades:
1) Safer Upgrades with Site Collection health checks and evaluation sites for preview
2) Reduced Outage Duration by upgrading site collections separately from databases
3) Deferred Site Collection Upgrade allows site collection administrators to control when the site collection upgrade occurs as well as when the user experience switches from 2010 to 2013
4) SharePoint 2010 Customization upgrades can wait as they are installed alongside the SharePoint 2013 bits
5) A System Status bar at top of screen (upgrade in progress, maintenance in progress, read only data)
6) Improved Upgrade Logs with Specific Error Codes and separate files for each site collection upgrade
15. Mobile Optimization - Mobile Optimization Features:
1) Device Channels – Versions of pages can be targeted to specific devices.
2) Push Notifications – Similar to email alerts but specific to mobile devices.
3) Location – New field types can utilize your devices GPS coordinates.
4) Business Intelligence – Dashboard content viewable on mobile devices.
5) Office Web Apps – OWA Server lets optimized viewers open Office documents on mobile devices.
16. Client Object Model - New Version of APIs Has Added Support For:
2) User Profiles
17. SharePoint Apps - Benefits of SharePoint 2013 Apps Include:
1) The App doesn't affect the SharePoint farm performance (though may flood the farm with client side object model calls)
2) Developers can package and distribute their SharePoint Apps on the new Microsoft App store which works with On-premises SharePoint, Hosted SharePoint (Fpweb.net), or the Microsoft Cloud (Office 365)
3) SharePoint Apps can be hosted in an isolated SharePoint Site, isolated server, or even on Windows Azure
4) Server side code is not possible for Apps (farm solutions are required here)
5) SharePoint Apps rely on OAuth 2.0
18. Business Connectivity - Benefits of the Business Connectivity Services Include:
1) The Eventing framework allows external notifications and alerts on external lists.
2) BCS allows offline use for your external data and processes.
3) Main performance improvements include data source filtering, sorting and ability to export to Excel.
4) Deploy app scoped BDC models instead of just farm-scoped.
Thanks for this feature list. I have just signed up for a free SharePoint 2013 site with http://www.cloudappsportal.com and this would be helpful.ReplyDelete